Registered Nurse RN Care Of the Older Persons COOPs Transition to Practice Graduate Program
Centre for Education and Training
Fixed Term, Two 2 year contract, February 2020 to February 2022
Ballarat Health Services BHS as a workforce initiative is offering a two 2 year contract for the early entry career Registered Nurse RN . The two 2 year contract is a combination of a twelve 12 month Care Of the Older Persons COOPs Transition To Practice Graduate program followed by a twelve 12 month Enhancement Program .
Care of the Older Persons COOPs Transition to Practice Graduate Program Year
Fixed Term, Part Time, 64hrs per fortnight
The COOPs stream of the graduate transition program has an affiliation with Australian Catholic University ACU to provide graduates with the opportunity to undertake post graduate studies in the speciality of gerontology whilst also completing the RN graduate transition to practice program. Successful completion of the two units minimum requirement in the COOPs component, enables credit points granted towards the Post Graduate Certificate Clinical Nursing Gerontology.
Both the transition to practice program requirements and the COOPs program units are required to be completed throughout the graduate year for successful completion.
The aims of the program are to
- provide support and guidance to the early entry career nurse.
- develop self confidence, critical thinking, decision making, clinical skills and clinical competence as part of the multifaceted role of the Registered Nurse.
- provide realistic learning experiences to consolidate professional and personal development per standards of practice, code of conduct and national accreditation standards.
- combine a practical and theoretical program with the higher education sector to enable the early entry career RN grounding not only in the nursing profession but in the contemporary based care of the older person in the health care sector.
The program involves three 3 clinical rotations within BHS with clinical support in the clinical environment. The variety of clinical experience may include dementia specific aged care, general aged care, acute and subacute areas.
Enhancement Program second year
Fixed term part time, 32 hours per fortnight
The second twelve 12 months of the two 2 year contract has various clinical experiences at BHS. The Enhancement Program is aimed at continuity of employment within the health service to offer the early entry career RN an ability to further consolidate knowledge and skills and to foster longevity in a gerontology focused nursing career at BHS. The clinical experiences will be in two 2 different clinical areas.
General Information about Ballarat Health Services and Residential Facilities
Ballarat Health Services BHS offers a comprehensive range of general and specialist care across key medical and health care disciplines including acute, subacute and residential aged care services. BHS is a major teaching and research health organisation, which services the whole of Western VictoriaorGrampians region. The service actively collaborates with and supports nursing education and provides a range of postgraduate programs affiliated with various universities in addition to the Transition To Practice programs.
In addition to the mandatory e recruit application requirements, applicants are required to forward hardcopy documents of the following to the Coordinator Graduate Nurses.
- Cover Letter same as uploaded to your e recruit application
- CV including three 3 professional referees one being a 3rd or 4th year Clinical Teacher and one 1 being a current or previous employer same as uploaded to ballarat.mhr.com.au
- Academic transcript including 3rd or 4th year mid year results same as uploaded to your e recruit application
- ALL Clinical Appraisal interim and final Summaries including 1st, 2nd, and 3rd or 4th year of study
- Passport size photo x2
- Documents to be sent or delivered to
Coordinator Graduate Nurses
Centre for Education and Training
Ballarat Health Services
PO Box 577
BALLARAT VIC 3353
For further information please contact Marilyn Kearney Coordinator Graduate Nurses on or
Applications close Friday 19th July 2019
All appointments are subject to a satisfactory police check, working with children check where applicable and immunisation clearance.
BHS is committed to providing a diverse and inclusive workforce. We encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people with disability, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, mature age workers and lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex LGBTI people.